Monday, July 27, 2009

It's official...you're a moron

So, I was getting my coffee this morning from the local cafe (Raw Space in South Brisbane for those in the know) and I overheard the following from a customer talking to the barista:

"So, they were just not listening to me at all. Everything I was saying was falling on silence."

WHAT.
THE.
FUCK.

I just stared at this woman, mouth agape.

Did she not realise how little sense she made? Falling on silence? Seriously?

Falling on deaf ears makes sense. If you are speaking to someone and they are ignoring you, it is like their ears are deaf. Hence, deaf ears. Falling on deaf ears.

You know what, if you don't actually KNOW the saying, please don't try to use it.
But then again, that one is just so far from being right I can't even begin to justify it. It's because of people like that I wholeheartedly support the implementation of some sort of basic intelligence test to see whether someone should be allowed to reproduce.

My other pet peeve "For all intensive purposes...". No, no, no, no, no, no. No.
The saying is "For all intents and purposes...". It's like one day, in a business meeting, someone in upper middle management said "For all intensive purposes..." and then one of the junior staff wanted to express the same thing, but didn't want to correct their superior so said the wrong thing on purpose and then everyone else assumed they must have been wrong because they'd always said intents and purposes and THEN IT ALL JUST SNOWBALLED AND NOW LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENED!

Sigh.

Incorrect use of common sayings?

DECISION: FLAWSOME

No comments:

Post a Comment